Hey everyone, Dystopia turned 8 today! Hard to believe so much time has passed since the original "demo" release.
Since then, Dystopia has had:
- 5+ major updates
- 3 engine ports (not including the original prototypes on goldsrc and idtech3!)
- 4 new weapons added
- 3 weapon models re-created
- A new punk heavy player model along with a bunch of graphical improvements to existing models
- 10 new official maps, and a bunch of great third party ones!
- 2500+ more map textures
- 3 entire sets of voicecomms created
- Translations for 12 languages made by fans
- An extensive stats system created
- Steam integration
- Nominations and awards from organizations such as the IGF and moddb
- Articles in various physical magazines, including PC Gamer
- A launch party and tournament hosted by djWHEAT
- Dozens of past contributors, many who joined from the community itself, to make all of this possible!
Check out the original trailer and see how many differences you can spot:
It's been an awesome ride and I'm still having a blast, and I'm glad so many others have stuck around for so long to watch and help Dystopia and PHG grow. I've never seen a community full of such talent and passion, always coming to the aid of this humble mod whenever it has needed it, always creating more awesome content and keeping the game going where dozens of others have faded away.
Thanks for all the great times, and all the ones to come.
I was originally hoping to have 1.4 done for today, but a news post will have to suffice! The update is back on track after a couple weeks of SDK hiccups. Atomy has been crushing bugs and we're getting really close to a clean build.